Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Prairie Schooler Exchange Piece

This went out to Ellen in Singapore and I have gotten word that she received it safe and sound.


So for the photos.



First, on the left, the tout ensemble: I was lucky enough to be gifted with a bunch of ulphostery fabric sample swatches by my sister-in-law. They have proved to be perfect for all sorts of sewing finishes. Since I filled this little pin pillow with ground walnut shells, I wanted something substantial. And because I am always concerned that the walnut shells might still have traces of natural oils, I lined the whole thing with muslin. I'd hate to have the piece develop staining over time. The design I stitched is from Book #123: Country Seasons. I have stitched at least part of the design before, when I had to fill in the last block of my Autumn Round Robin after one of the stitchers was politely disinvited ... she had a nasty habit of keeping anything that fell into her hands.


But it was fun to revisit this chart and finish it in a new and different fashion. This is my first long pin pillow, and I am reasonably pleased with it. I finally found a good use for a little enameled metal acorn shank button that has been kicking around in my stash for a decade.



The last photo is of the whole exchange ... I threw in a few autumnal ceramic buttons for good measure.


This was my first experience with Hooked on Exchanging and I must admit I enjoyed myself thoroughly. I loved what I received, the lovely little lapel pins from Amy, and I look forward to other exchanges in the future. I am hoping to expand my internet stitching network horizons a bit. I know that the folks I have encountered so far have been wonderful. I have been following the voting on the designer to be spotlighted in the next exchange of Christmas ornaments. Lizzi Kate [not one of my favorites] is ahead of my own choice, Blackbird Designs. Just in case, I found myself a Lizzie Kate complimentary chart that I can use since I don't have any of L*K's charts in my stash and don't like her quite well enough to purchase one.

4 comments:

Rachel S-H said...

Very cute! You did a great job!

Ellen said...

I love the pin pillow, thank you very much. Your stitching and finishing are perfect! Love the buttons too!

mdgtjulie said...

Grats on the finish. Glad you like the exchange group. I'm not much of an exchanger (I don't stitch on a deadline well) but I've heard it's a lovely group of people.

Carissa said...

Your exchange pillow is beautiful and the pins you received are adorable! I've done a few exchanges on the ILCS Yahoo group, but for the most part, I don't do them. Partly because I've not done much finishing, so I'm still pretty inept at it and secondly because I hate working with a deadline.