Band 1 which features the Martha Washington geranium is complete. I spent the last 30 minutes browsing horticultural websites trying to discover how this old-fashioned flower came to be named after Martha Washington. I did learn that it was quite popular in the early 1900s but has since been eclipsed by showier varieties. But as to its connection with Lady Washington - not a word.
Moving on to Band 2 with its Half Rhodes and Upright Cross stitches presented a few problems at first. The chart calls for the Rhodes to be stitched with 2 strands of floss. But that produced a nubby mess. After just three Half Rhodes, I frogged and re-stitched with one strand and am much happier with the definition of the stitches. The Upright Crosses will be stitched tomorrow in Buttercup. I expect they will look better in one strand as well.