Saturday, July 19, 2014

RAKs. The English Band Sampler and The Dragon of the Winter Moon

First I want to thank Linda from Albany, NY and Dani from Canada for sending me Marlitt floss.  I am able to complete The Dragon of the Winter Moon thanks to you ladies.



I especially want to acknowledge Dani's totally unexpected gift of a small cut of fabric which will make the perfect backing for my Here Be Dragons pin pillow and a fabulous scissor fob complete with small dragon, all enclosed in a beautiful mermaid card that accompanied the Marlitt floss.





The series of thunderstorms that plagued us for a week has finally passed on.  The patio was dry and comfortable Thursday morning and I should have gotten a bit of stitching done before I had to leave for work at 8:45am.  It's great living less than a ten minute drive from the office.  But, I had a wakeful night and ended up sleeping in till it was time to dress for work.  But the weather continued to be fine on Friday and Saturday.  So, I did get plenty of stitching time in optimum light on my patio.  What could be better than stitching in a comfortable chair, with a flask of iced peach infused ice tea, and entertained by birdsong.

The eyelets are done, done, done!!! I am so happy, I could sing and dance and sing some more.   I even managed to stitch the chain border between Bands 6 and 7 on Friday.  Band 7 is another densely stitched and intricately designed band.  It looks like loads of fun.  I expect the enjoyment quotient of this piece is about to sky rocket.  I did manage to get a start on the first motif on Saturday evening though I spent most of Saturday on my latest dragon.    The first motif was offset by one thread.  I know this was done to balance the design but it just seems so wrong, violating all the rules.  I will divide my Sunday stitching between sampler and dragon.

And, now for the dragon: Thanks to the lovely ladies mentioned at the top of this post, I had the Marlitt to stitch a good bit of the dragon's body.  There is still the shading of the tail to fill in and both wings to stitch as well as the blade at the end of the tail.  And, of course I need to finish up the mountain range beneath the dragon and the castle in the background as well as the moon.  Then there is the back stitching and the beading.  I guess I am just a little bit more than halfway done with this piece.   I plan to stitch the shading of the tail as well as the blade at its tip on Sunday and then spend the remainder of the time on the sampler.

7 comments:

Vickie said...

I am so glad for you that TWO ladies came through for you! Yay! And what thoughtful gifts from Dani. Your work is looking great!

Maggee said...

Yay! Now you should have enough thread to finish this dragon piece! And the fob from Dani is so pretty! CONGRATS on finishing the eyelets!! You should get a medal for doing so many!! Hugs!

Shebafudge said...

Your dragon is looking great. So kind of stitchers to help you out AND send gifts. Gorgeous fabric btw.

Linda said...

Congrats on finishing the eyelets on the sampler Regina. I am so loving the dragon. What a gorgeous design.

Linda

Karen said...

What sweet goodies! Love your sampler too... very colorful. happy stitching...

Julie said...

Wonderful gift from Dani. Yay.....the eyelets are finished, looking forward to watching the next band develop.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a beautiful card and fabric from Dani, lovely fob too.

The dragon is looking great, it must be nice to have the supplies so you can press on with it.

And a mini celebration as you move on to Band 7 too!