Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Picks From the Recent Nashville Market

I have promised myself that I would limit myself to just 5 new chart purchases this year. I have enough charts currently in my possession to keep me busy for 4 or 5 years ... thus, there can be no excuse for extravagant purchases when I already have such riches at my fingertips.

That being said, I still like to browse through the new offerings, adding a few to my wish list. I'll revisit the wish list in a month or two and see if my additions turned out to be mere momentary impulses or serious I-really-must-stitch-this items. If I hold off making any actual purchases of charts till mid-year, I'll know my choices will represent the creme de la creme of new charts ... at least, as regards my own tastes and moods.
These are my picks from the recent Nashville Market, with thumbnail reviews.
Prairie Moon's Martini Witches ... I think this would make a great companion piece to my "How to turn a man into a credit card?" piece from Twisted Stitches. I am just not sure that I really need to invest all the time, money and framing into an echo of a joke already enjoyed ... if you know what I mean.
Just Nan's Needle Tweets ... normally, I don't do "cute" but somehow these little accessories struck me as more whimsical than cute and perfect for stitching as gifts for friends who stitch.
Blackbird Designs Bird in Hand ... I love most everything produced by this design partnership but Bird in Hand really pleases me. I have a feeling this one, at least, will make it to the must purchase list.
The Primitive Needle's Black'd Skie ... This is another designer whose works I really like ... in spite of the eccentric spelling that doesn't follow either modern or archaic rules ... but rather partakes of a certain independent and creative spirit that spells words willy-nilly as the designer requires. This irks the English teacher that still lives within me but my general liking for the design concepts often overcomes the irritation. Another likely candidate for the list of only 5 charts to be purchased in 2010.
Steweb Scissors from Kelmscott Designs: I don't need another pair of scissors but my liking for Halloween themed accessories makes this spider web design damn near irresistible. But it is not a chart and so is not involved in my proscription against frivolous purchases ... at least not technically.

4 comments:

Rachel S-H said...

I like your thinking!

I like the Blackbird designs offering.

Kimmie said...

I love Martini Witches AND Black'd Skie. I looked at those when I got an email from my shop after they were at the show. I may end up ordering.....just so I have them when I need them. LOL

Myra said...

I haven't made any purchases from the market either although there are lots that I like. :o) The steweb scissors are one of my favorites too.

Paula C. said...

I just received the box of Christmas ribbon and trims! Thank you so much!!! Please let me know how to reimburse you for the postage. My email is in my profile.