Monday, December 14, 2009

More ornaments

Here are a few more photos of some of the Christmas ornaments I have done over the years. The first is a mini quilt block done in Christmas colors and the second is one of those Heartstrings designer series Santas ... I never get my pillow ornaments quite square and have pretty much stopped using that finish technique since I am never satisfied with the end result.

Next are some photos of crewel ornaments I did about 15 years ago. These were given as Christmas gifts to my 1996 volunteer catechists. The crewel ornaments came from a Butterick pattern and were an awful lot of fun to stitch ... not to mention that it was a great way to use up odds and ends of floss left over from other projects. I stitched a total of 50 of these little guys and backed them with stiffened felt ... but these two pictures give you an idea of the different designs ... the rest were the same designs done in different colorways. Of course, I had the pattern for nearly a decade before I finally stitched them ... after all, crewel was all the rage in the 80s and I stitched these in the early 90s ... I was never one to be a slave to trends. Or, to put it another way, I am often the last to jump on the bandwagon or catch up with fashions and fads.

2 comments:

Rachel S-H said...

they look so good. I love the quilting one.

Annie Bee said...

Those crewel orns are just stunning and so different. Love the Heartstring Santa he is really lovely.