It was a pleasure to stitch something for a "stitching buddy". Another stitcher looks at a piece and understands the time, energy and effort that went into it. It's so nice to be appreciated at that level. And stitching for someone you have actually met is even more enjoyable than exchanges ... though they are always fun, it is quite different when you have an emotional investment in a piece.
Monday, November 23, 2009
The Pine Cone Ornament
A few weeks ago, the recently engaged Rachel posted a query on the 123 message board ... she needed a pine cone ornament for her bride tree and was looking for a suitable chart. Having had the pleasure of meeting Rachel last June when vacationing in the Chesapeake Bay Western Shore area of Md, I asked this lovely young lady if she'd let me stitch an ornament from the Gift of Stitching Dec 2007 for her. I wasn't sure whether the ornaments for a bride tree had to be stitched entirely by the bride ... having never heard of this custom before. I was delighted when she accepted my offer and stitched this lovely little design for her. Since I have gotten word that Rachel has received it, I am now posting a photo.
Designed by Melissa Dunajski, when stitched on 32 ct. linen [Silkweaver Days Gone By], this ornament is three inches square. I made a few modifications substituting a monogram [one over one] using the bride's and groom's initials instead of the year. I also used Belle Soie silks [Creme de Menthe, Chocolat, Cinnamon Stick and Sister Scarlet] instead of the recommended GAST and WDW cotton overdyes. I changed the border as well since I have never really liked the alternating six stitches one color and six stitches another color deal. I stitched all the Smyrnas in Creme de Menthe and substituted the center eyelet in Sister Scarlet for the charted cross stitched 4 pointed star. For the back, I felt like playing with a few more stitches so I did square Rhodes in Creme de Menthe and the center stitch in a rice stitch using both the red and the green. And then, the brainstorm: why not stitch two entwined wedding rings in satin stitches over plastic rings as the center motif of the back of the ornament. Well that looked just awful since I had to cut one of the rings to entwine the two and the cut ring just wouldn't line up again. An attempt to glue it didn't work either. So I pulled a very pretty ceramic heart button out of my stash and used that instead. Add a stitched "Best wishes" and "2009" for the year of the engagement [the wedding is to take place in 2010] and the back is complete. Since both back and front were stitched on linen, I figured a fringed pillow finish would be a nice change of pace for me ... I usually do padded flat ornaments. A bit of twisted cord in the Creme de Menthe combined with the Sister Scarlet and it was done. So, in addition to be being an ornament, the project turned into a mini-sampler and gave me a chance to enjoy a bunch of specialty stitches and techniques. It was a relatively quick stitch ... less than ten hours including the sewing finish.