Monday, August 20, 2012

Disgusted

Every so often I check out the section in Blogger Stats labelled Referring Sites.  I have on occasion found new stitching sites that way.  In any case, I am always interested to see who is interested in my blog.  Well, this morning, I innocently clicked on one of the referring sites to see who it might be.  It took me less than 3 seconds to discover it was something in which I had no interest whatsoever - an adult sex dating and connecting site.  I realize that such sites occasionally troll for new visitors by inserting their addresses into more innocuous sites.  But it irritates me exceedingly to have such a site intruding on mine.   I would rather not know what other consenting adults do.  Morally speaking, I believe in  healthy monogamous relationships, whatever the orientation or formal legal status of the couple ... so I imagine some people would consider me priggish because of the monogamous proviso.  But I would never dream of criticizing anyone merely because they had a different point of view.  I simply mind my own business and expect other people to mind theirs as well.  And I think that is why I am so disgusted by this incident.  A blog is a very personal thing and the site in question violates my personal sexual ethos and as such, has no business connecting itself with me.    After all, it is one thing to advertise your site on similar sites but to broadcast it at random, especially when it contains material that many would find offensive, is predatory.  I can think of no other more appropriate word: predatory.

This was not the post I was planning to write today.  I simply had to vent my frustration.  I will probably post a normal stitch-related post later on in the day.  Thanks for bearing with me.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Gosh that's awful! I hate it when I even get spam. Thanks for letting us know. I have never checked that before. I guess I will have to go into blogger to check mine,

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

poor you! I've never had an experience like that (although I do like to check the referring sites too).

The most insulting thing that happened to me was receiving a comment from a blogger asking me to "share" a chart with her saying I was "well known for sharing" my charts. I explained to her that "sharing" is another word for scanning, emailing and stealing charts and I specifically have a disclaimer on my blog saying I don't do that!
She may have been innocent but it was the first time she'd commented and while I might ask if a chart was for sale I wouldn't approach another stitcher asking them to "share" unless I knew them well and I meant "would you lend me that chart?".

Cathy said...

Unfortunately, junk is all over the internet. I had to change the comment section on my blog so that I could approve each comment. I had been getting some comments in another language from a questionable source. It did take care of the problem. But I don't know if there is anything you can do about referring sources.
Cathy