Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Movie I'd Like to See

I don't like going to the movies ... most often I'd rather wait for the DVD.  I find that movie etiquette just isn't what it used to be before cineplexes.  [Yes, I am over 60 and sometimes a mite cranky with it!!!]  I don't like paying a small fortune to sit in a tiny, poorly air-conditioned room with a bunch of techies using their glowing and often beeping, singing, chiming smart-phones throughout the whole movie.  And I am inclined to agree with the Preacher from Serenity who claims that there is a special place in hell for people who talk in theaters.  I am also inclined to wonder why parents bring small children to 8:00 and 9:00pm showings.  How late does one have to go to movies to avoid small children?  Don't get me wrong.  I love children.  I just think that anyone under the age of seven should be in bed at 9:00pm and not sitting beside me in a movie theater whining about candy or the need to go to the restroom.  Truth be told, I prefer to be in bed at 9:00pm myself most nights.  Besides, movies shown at the later viewings are seldom suitable for or of interest to youngsters.  And quietly tolerating boredom is simply not a skill set of the very young ... especially if overtired and overstimulated by sweets.

All that being said, I am still inclined to brave the wilds of the local multiplex to see Hope Springs with Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones and Steve Carrell.  I think Meryl Streep is one of the finest actresses around and that Tommy Lee Jones is a gifted actor whose comedic timing and delivery are woefully under-rated.  I am not crazy about Steve Carrell but the reviews indicate that, atypically, he doesn't mug his way through this movie.  The premise of a couple married 30+ years seeking to reinvigorate their marriage is a storyline I can enjoy.  It's always nice, at my age, to find a movie that isn't about 30 somethings but about real people my age and not just the usual stereotypes of dirty old man or batty old woman or sweet but wisely dotty grandparents.

My husband also dislikes going to movies  He finds the seating uncomfortable and the spacing too close, with people scrunched together like too many flowers stuffed in a vase.    If he can't get an aisle seat, he feels claustrophobic.  But he is a big Tommy Lee Jones fan and might be persuaded.  If not, I can always wait for the DVD.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I'm with you on all of it Riona! You don't have to be "old" to feel that way.

blue star stitcher said...

I'm a thirty-something and I think this movie looks good too. Love Meryl Streep but wasn't a fan of her last romantic-comedy "It's Complicated"