Friday, March 30, 2012

Thursday's Child Was The Lighthouse Candle Mat

I know I should've been working on my Jacobean Elegance afghan yesterday even though there is little or no possibility that I'll ever catch up to my monthly goal for the piece.  That would involve getting a block and a half done today and tomorrow.  It takes me fairly steady stitching for 10-12 hours to finish each block.  Sure, I am off today and on Saturday, but I do have a few other things to do above and beyond stitching.  Much as I sometimes think I'd like to do so, I can't devote entire days to the sedentary activity of stitching.  Laundry, house-keeping, ironing, gardening, grocery shopping and errand running are all clamoring for my attention this weekend.  My doctor is also doing some rather insistent nagging about getting more exercise.  Yesterday, though, I indulged myself with stitching one of the small lighthouses in Prairie Grove Peddler's Lighthouse Candle Mat and starting another ... these lighthouses work up fairly quickly and travel nicely, an important consideration for the last workday of my week.  In my 90 minutes of early morning stitching I finished the  second lighthouse and a bit of the greenery around it.  My lunchtime stitching saw the finish of the greenery.   And some post-work stitching was enough to get a start on the third lighthouse.  I have to say it is a bit odd to stitch one lighthouse sideways and another upside down - to keep all my crosses going in the same direction -  but it is perfectly doable.  What is really hard to believe is that I have been carrying this piece around in my "current" stitching bage since late June 2011 when I stitched the first lighthouse while vacationing ... and that this is the first time I have gotten back to it!  I'll probably continue to work on this for the remainder of the weekend.  I can't say I'd mind adding one more finish to my pathetically short sidebar list of 2012 Finishes.

Well after a busy morning and afternoon of errand running, banking and grocery shopping, I finally settled down to some stitching at 4:30pm.  I pretty much watched some Cadfael DVDs and stitched on and off [more off than on, if truth be known] till bedtime, with the above result.

1 comment:

Stitchinowl said...

First of all, your sidebar list of 2012 finishes is not pathetic, rather something to be proud of! Stitching is a hobby to enjoy. Don't focus on how many finishes you have. Sometimes the joy is in the journey. Nice progress on the Lighthouses candle mat.
Carolyn