Monday, September 23, 2013

A Good Weekend for Stitching

It hasn't been quite a Hermit Weekend but a good one nonetheless.  I got at least four hours of stitching in on Friday.  Saturday was nearly as productive though I had errands to run in the afternoon and served as  lector at the 5:30 Mass and then met with the Teen RCIA after Mass.  On Sunday, I concentrated on relaxing with some Star Trek Next Generation DVDs and, of course, some stitching. .  

Section 5 is finished and a start has been made on Section 2.  I had been feeling as though I was a week ahead of my own schedule until I realized I had made a mistake in stitching one of the symbols in the wings in Sections 3 and 6.  What brought it to my attention was stitching the wing area in Section 5 and not having things match up properly.  It is going to be a pain in the neck to frog and restitch because, well, it's a Wentzler design: meaning that the back of the area is an interwoven mass due to the confetti stitching on the front.  I pulled out the wrong stitches on the bottom inch or so of the wing.  The mistake involves a tweeded blend of ecru and charcoal which should be a blend of golden beige and medium tan.  I figure I'll just frog and re-stitch one diagonal row of the wrong stitches each day until it is all corrected.  It is way too tedious and fussy a task to tackle at one go..  It would probably destroy my forward momentum on this piece if I attempted to do it all at once  

The first photo shows the whole stocking and the second photo is a close-up of the weekend's progress.  Although these are outdoor photos, the day is only partly sunny so the photos are a bit darker than usual.  Still the colors are more accurate than when I take photos under my stitching lamp.  I may get another hour or two of stitching in today before work.  It's a late day for me since we have our first catechist meeting scheduled for this evening.  I never stitch a Wentzler piece after eight p.m. so there'll be no stitching this evening.

The confetti stitching of the major portion of the angel's wings is still ahead of me.  I've only a bit more of the evergreen crown and hair as well as the tiny bit of the robe's yoke just to the left of the drape to stitch before I have to deal with the wings.  The face is over one and so will be reserved till I have done all the over two stitching.  I expect it to be nearly as great a challenge as the snow.  So, getting Sections 1 and 2 stitched by the end of October is still problematic.  But I shall do my best.

8 comments:

llknbillburg said...

This is so beautiful and you are making great progress!! Laura

Vickie said...

Great! I was able to stitch much also.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

you are making stunning progress, it shall be beautiful all completed, it is gorgeous now!

Rachel S-H said...

Gorgeous!

Anna van Schurman said...

So disappointing about the mistake. :( But it's going to be stunning when you finish!

Blu said...

This is so beautiful! I love seeing your progress on it.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Looking amazing!

Linda said...

You are making tremendous progress and it really is looking beautiful.