Thursday, August 21, 2008

Two new starts

Number One: JCS Halloween ornaments.
Ever since I received my copy of the JCS Halloween ornament issue, five of the designs have been calling to me. I finally caved and began work on The Sweetheart Tree's Pumpkin on Gingham. I'll be stitching this design twice: once as an exchange for the 123 stitch Halloween ornament exchange and once as a small pin keep ornament for my own Halloween Tree. Pumpkins are second only to owls and ravens as my favorite Halloween motifs and there are several really lovely pumpkin designs in the issue. The Homespun Elegance Boo Pumpkin is another must stitch. And, of course, the Prairie Schooler Night Owl, The Elizabeth's Designs Spooky Tree and La-D-Da's Smell My Feet are right behind them on the pipeline. All I am waiting for are a few things I need for these designs: some Mill Hill beads and the two bat [Mill Hill Glass Treasures] and some WDW and CC flosses ... then I will treat myself to an orgy of autumnal color and themes. When I get around to Smell My Feet, I am going to replace the green legs with a legs clothed in striped stocking in colors to match a wonderful bit of turqouise and yellow flat braid that I'll use to finish the piece. I hate the whole green witch thing.
Number Two: 2006 Santa [with antique sewing machine] from Prairie Schooler
I have stitched this once before but I gave the framed piece away as a retirement gift for a dear colleague who shares my passion for sewing and who appreciates all the needle arts. I am going to combine this piece with the 2004 [Embroidering], 2005 [Quilting], and 2007 [Knitting] Santas to make a quilted wall hanging. I have also stitched the 1995 Santa ... but that one will be framed with a small easel bracket for tabletop display.
At least the Prairie Schooler Santa is on my August Goals list ... something that can not be said for the Halloween ornaments ... but I found them just irresistible.

No comments: