Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Duty Stitching

Sunday I started a Catitudes chart called My name is Stop That! What's yours? ... my husband volunteered me to do it for his sister after she balked at paying the $200+ price tag at a local framers for the finished piece. Proud husband beams: "Oh Regina can whip that up for you, no problem." Proud husband will soon be wearing a muzzle. The chart involves a cat playing with toilet tissue ... if I never see another strand of white floss again, it'll be too soon. The whole deal is complicated by the fact that it was supposed to be stitched on antique white aida ... I am doing it on a antique cream overdyed linen ... but it is still pretty much a white-on-white eye straining project. The toilet tissue will be defined by black backstitching. Very little of the tortoise shell fur of the cat is showing: a bit of rump, a bit of back, a bit of the front shoulder, the two front paws and the head. The rest is all DMC white, 762 or 318. Aaaaaaaargh! While I will frequently stitch charts I consider whimsical or humorous, I avoid the terminably cute with a decided determination. And this chart is definitely cute enough to set my teeth on edge.
Ah well, I am about 1/3 done with the thing. This too shall pass ... and in the process I will win Brownie points with my sister-in-law and payback points with my husband. This is not a bad thing.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I know just what you mean about terminably cute charts!
Right now I'm working on Bent Creek's The Red Thread, which is right there on the edge of my cuteness tolerance, but I liked the general theme, so I went ahead with it!
Erica

Anna van Schurman said...

Looking forward to seeing your Liz Turner Diehl patterns!