Thursday, January 12, 2012

What to stitch when you really shouldn't stitch at all ...

Since my sinus infection/head cold/croupy cough combo has reached the point where even my eyelids are in agony, I decided it would be the better part of valor NOT to stitch on The Holly & Hearts Sampler or the Quaker Sampler yesterday. Instead, I pulled out an old kit, BH&G Tooth Fairy Pillow, that I had salvaged from the huge clearing out of my mother's crafting stash [remember January 2010?]. I knew at the time that it would make a great "grandma" gift. Well, the grandchildren are only 4 and 2 but eventually they will be loosing baby teeth so I may as well be prepared. Even though I am not crazy about Aida cloth, generally avoiding it like a plague, this particular swatch is relatively soft and supple. It has just enough body to make stitching in hand practicable. A good thing, since digging this kit out of storage exhausted whatever energy I had, leaving me too weak to search for an appropriate hoop or set of scroll rods. Okay, I exaggerate, but only slightly! It's obvious that I didn't spend all that much time stitching yesterday. Even so, this little bit of embroidery distracted me from my head cold for a while, another good thing. Lord, I must be channelling Martha Stewart in my delirium! I am still trying to figure out how I was able to spring back from major surgery in 2010 and now let a mere cold lay me low! Sure, I am two years older but I am generally healthier, having lost weight and gotten into a proper medication regimen. I guess it all comes down to accepting the mysterious truth that minor ailments often feel worse than major ones. Probably because our bodies are not fooled into pumping out the adrenalin for anything short of serious.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Colds and coughs are the worst misery there is--I think because there is no relief from the symptoms until the dastardly viral-or-bacterial thing is completely through with you! At least with surgery, there are medications that alleviate the pain a bit.

Rachel S-H said...

If it's remotely related to the cough/cold/gack I have, that is reason enough to be laid low. I have talked to people who say they had this and it's the worst malfunction they've had in a long time. Hope you get feeling better soon.

pandy said...

I am so sorry that you are feeling so gunky :( get well soon!