One of the ladies on the 123 stitch board came up with a "meme" of sorts. I have edited it somewhat and repeated it here, thinking it might be fun.
Regional Phrases Quiz
1. What term do you use to describe a sale of unwanted items on your own property? Yard sale.
2. What do you call the area of grass between the sidewalk and the road? The verge.
3. W hat do you call the area of grass that occurs in the middle of some streets? A median.
4. What do you call the long narrow place in the middle of a divided highway? A median.
5. What do you call the drink made with milk and ice cream? A malted.
6. What do you call the long sandwich that contains cold cuts, lettuce, and so on? A hero.
7. What do you call the insect that flies around in the summer and has a rear section that glows in the dark? A Lightning bug.
8. What do you call the miniature lobster that one finds in lakes and streams for example (a crustacean of the family Astacidae)? Crayfish.
9. What do you call the kind of spider (or spider-like creature) that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs? Daddy-long-legs.
10. Are there very specific names used for paternal vs maternal grandparents in your area? No.
11. What do you call the big clumps of dust that gather under furniture and in corners? Normal.
12. What is your *general* term for the rubber-soled shoes worn in gym class, for athletic activities, etc.? Sneakers.
13. What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Grocery cart.
14. What term do you use to refer to something that is across both streets from you at an intersection (or diagonally across from you in general)? Catty-corner.
15. What do you call the activity of driving around in circles in a car? Stupid.
16. What do you call paper that has already been used for something or is otherwise imperfect? Scrap paper.
17. What is your *general* term for a big road that you drive relatively fast on? Highway.
18. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Sunshower.
19. When you are cold, and little points of skin begin to come on your arms and legs, you have- goose pimples.
20. What do you call the gooey or dry matter that collects in the corners of your eyes, especially while you are sleeping? Sand.
21. What do you call an easy course? Basket-weaving class.
22. What do you call a traffic situation in which several roads meet in a circle and you have to get off at a certain point? Annoying … oh, all right, a traffic circle.
23. Do you use the word cruller? Yes, doesn’t everyone?
24. Do you use the term "bear claw" for a kind of pastry? See above.
25. What do you call someone who is the opposite of pigeon-toed (i.e. when they walk their feet point outwards)? A ballerina?
26. Can you call coleslaw "slaw"? No.
27. What do you call the box you bury a dead person in? A coffin.
28. Do you say "vinegar and oil" or "oil and vinegar" for the type of salad dressing? Oil and vinegar, because if made properly, there is more oil than vinegar.
29. What do you call it when a driver changes over one or more lanes way too quickly? We are supposed to avoid that sort of language on the Internet.
30. When you stand outside with a long line of people waiting to get in somewhere, are you standing "in line" or "on line" (as in, "I stood ___ in the cold for two hours before they opened the doors")? In or on, I use them interchangeably.
31. Do you say "frosting" or "icing" for the sweet spread one puts on a cake? Icing.
32. What is "the City"? Well, New York, of course!