Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Perfect Palette

I have decided to kit up Primitive Needle's Black'd Skie as part of my participation in the Crazy January Challenge ... I love this chart in spite of the rather problematic faux antique spelling ... in fact, having done my graduate work in early American literature [which is mostly documents, letters and journals], I can actually make a case for spelling being as diverse as the sum total of individuals doing the spelling ... trust me on this, I spent the better part of two years in the rare book room of U.Va. in Charlottesville ... turning ancient pages ever so carefully while wearing white cotton gloves.
I am running into one small problem, though, the chart calls for fibers from a company called The Perfect Palette ... a company completely unknown to me and to the staffs of several LNS's I have contacted. Some of the colors I will be using should I ever locate them are named Bailey's and Dry Martini and Spanish Coffee [is that anything like Irish Coffee?]. I suspect I will be consuming the real thing long before I locate the threads.
If anyone knows of a source for this fiber, I would appreciate it if you would share the information. Even googling didn't help! I figured if I could find a color chart on-line, I could make substitutions from within my existing stash. But no joy!

4 comments:

CalamityJr said...

Look at this website - but only if you have color numbers, because the names aren't given! They really lovely shades, though... http://www.doughtysonline.co.uk/shop/Perfect_Palette-c-173/
Good luck!

riona said...

Thanks, Calamity Jr. Unfortunately I don't have the numbers, only the names of the floss ... but I did use the website's Contact Us feature to ask for a list of US retailers and a key matching floss numbers to floss names.

Anonymous said...

Riona, Under Corrections on the Primitive Needle's website "In my new design~ Black'd Skie I used The Pure Palette threads Baroque Silk. I also used one strand to stitch on the 40 count linen. This thread comes in a bundle~take the big bundle apart, then take the bundle of 3 apart into 3 separate strands.:Try Needle in a Haystack http://needlestack.typepad.com/whats_new/2008/06/new-baroque-silk-has-arrived.html Linda

riona said...

Just in case any readers have been following this saga and are looking for Perfect Palette threads themselves: please note that the doughty website carries fabric only ... the same name is just one of those coincidences we so often run across. The suggestion to contact Needle in a Haystack was the more successful strategy. I placed an order and will let you know how I fared [speed of delivery, general customer service, etc.].