Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My First Annual Stash Budget Accounting

With all the talk on message boards and in blogs about how the current economy is changing the stitching industry, I thought it would be interesting to track my own spending this year.


Grand Total Spent in 2010: $630.97



and now for the breakdown:


On Charts: $ 40.67


On Fibers: 283.20


On Fabrics: 139.47
On Embellishments [Beads, buttons]: 6.50


On Tools and Accessories: ------


On Framing: ------


On Books, Magazines and Subscriptions: 49.65


On Classes and Retreats: 60.00

EGA Membership 32.25


And on th ever present shipping/handling 19.23


Since I have been stitching primarily from stash, it is not surprising that my biggest expenditure has been for floss and fiber to stitch up charts already in my possession. And the only reason the fabric line is so high is that there were a number of series I worked on this past year for which I wanted to use the same fabric [e.g.: the raw linen in 28ct for the Bride's Tree SAL, and blue overdyed linens in 28ct for the Town Square SAL]. I don't expect to spend as much on fabric in 2011 since I have a fairly large and varied fabric stash accumulated from my two year subscription to Silkweaver Fabric of the Month. I will be working on very diverse projects in 2011 instead of intentional sets, so I won't be buying as much "matching" fabric in the coming year.


I am sure I have missed a few expenditures here and there. One thing I didn't include because it is not a direct stitching expense was all the money spent on postage for exchanges, round robins and giveaways ... but I am guessing that was in the neighborhood of $200 or above. And I never seem to save the receipts for those quick runs to Michael's or AC Moore for some last minute DMC. I shall be more careful as I keep track of my expenditures in 2011 as well to see how it compares with 2010. I have a sense that, while 2009 was probably much the same as 2010, I am spending considerably less on this craft than I did 5 years ago or 10 years ago. That would be particularly true in the areas of framing and chart and fabric purchases. Back in those days, I would frequently have as many as 12-15 pieces professionally framed each year at an average cost of $250 a piece ... raising the expenditure totals considerably. I didn't have anything professionally framed in 2010 as opposed to a mere five pieces professionally framed in 2009. Of course, I did a lot more gift-stitching back in the day and a lot more sampler stitching as well ... things that call for framing. For the past two years, I have been stitching predominantly from stash, purchasing far fewer charts and doing a lot more sewing finishes as opposed to framing finishes. But as I look forward to the pieces I plan to stitch in 2011, I see framing becoming a big part of the budget next year.

7 comments:

Chris said...

I think that I am going to try keeping track for 2011. It is amazing how it adds up :)

Karen said...

Keeping track of money spent on your hobby is a great idea. I think i will do this in 2011. I barely ever keep receipts for what I've spent, but I know that I've spent a lot less in 2010, than I did 4 or 5 years ago.

Eva said...

You are so brave to track your stitching budget....I am so very affraid to add up what I have spent.

And yes, I do plan on living long enough to stitch it all......(my children say I am in denile...but that's just a river in Egypt....)

Vicky said...

What a great idea, I never thought to keep track - I will do it for 2011 though.
Merry Christmas to you and yours and hope 2011 is fabulous.

Karen said...

I don't think I spent very much last year, but its the little purchases here and there that add up! I would hate to really sit and think about it.

Can't wait to see all of your projects for the new year!

Hope you have a very merry Christmas.

Donna said...

Well, I believe I am stimulating the economy with all my purchases, so I won't even add it up since it was for a good cause! LOL
It is nice to see what it costs for our enjoyment.

Nancy said...

That's not bad at all! I'm afraid to keep track of what I spend, althogh it was much less this year. I got a lot on Ebay at 1/2 off or better. Merry Christmas! Nancy