Thursday, September 18, 2014

Bittersweet and Melancholy

I started crocheting a baby blanket for my nephew and niece-in-law who are expecting a baby.  I am not sure if this blanket will be needed for very long.  The pregnancy is a very difficult one.  Pre-natal tests indicate the probability of Downes' Syndrome which, of course, all involved can accept with love.  But there are also indicators that the baby may be born with life-threatening deformities and may not survive the birthing process or, if he does, his first year of life.  While the brain and heart are developing at a normal rate and a proper size for this stage of the pregnancy, the rest of his small body is under-developed.  This is the first baby for the couple who were married last April and the whole family is praying that the doctors and technicians have over stated the risks.  Whatever the case, every baby is entitled to be welcomed with love and with some gifts from his family.  Even if his life is hopelessly short, his presence among us needs to be recognized and celebrated ... though, perhaps validated is a better word, in this case.

I am using a very soft bamboo yarn in palest silver grey and winter white.  The eye-popping vibrancy of the colors used in the blanket I recently finished for my great niece Hazel just don't seem appropriate.  Something softer, something a bit wistful, something that underscores the gossamer nature of life itself ... that is what is needed here.

10 comments:

suzanne said...

That is a lovely baby blanket and sentiment. My brother and his wife lost a baby under a similar situation 15 yrs ago. For however long this lovely child survives, being welcomed with such a loving thoughtful gift is truly a blessing. My prayers go out to your family.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I am so sorry to hear that. Doctors can be wrong and have been before. As you say they can overstate the risks to avoid legal action.
We had the nuchal fold test with my last pregnancy to be forewarned of any issues. It was not offered as a standard test despite my age but is now.
I hope all goes well for the pregnancy and the new baby.

Vickie said...

Your thoughts on the baby are just so correct Regina. I couldn't agree with you more. I am praying for them all.♥

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I am getting ready to say my afternoon rosary, your nephews baby shall be included and always remembered on my list of devotions.

CalamityJr said...

You've expressed your thoughts so beautifully, and I certainly do agree with your feeling that this baby deserves just as much love and attention as any other, maybe even more. My prayers are with all of you.

Linda said...

I am so sorry to hear this Regina. Sending hugs and happy thoughts your way.

Linda

Kim said...

What a sweet blanket but a sad story. I hope the doctors are wrong and he is born without medical problems. My son had very high indicators for Down Syndrome and he was born healthy without Downs Syndrome. The doctors and odds were wrong in my case. It can, and does happen.

Stitchinowl said...

I am sorry to hear this news. I am praying for your family.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Expecting a baby is so exciting but sadness can overcome the experience with negative reports from doctors. May the parents feel loved and cared for as they love and care for this little one.

Maggee said...

What a lovely blanket you crocheted. You are such a really nice person!