Saturday, May 31, 2014

Assessing May Goals, Setting June Goals

MAY GOALS: I kept the goals list fairly brief this month since a lot was happening in the parish in May: First Communions, Confirmation, May Crowning, Final Exams, Progress Reports, Inventory and Ordering for next year, etc.   Even though two of the items are still in the red, I am pleased with what I have accomplished.  The various new starts have restored my joy in stitching and added some much needed variety to my rotation.
 Current BAP: Resume work on Piper's Stocking.  Still haven't picked this one up again.
UFO/Class Project: Finish up The English Band Sampler.  Resumed stitching 5/6.
Town Square SAL: Stitch The Toy ShopFinished 5/4.
New Starts: Homespun Elegance's Owls' Night Out and Sue Hillis' The Pirate's Creed.   Started Owl's Night Out 5/4 and finished 5/6.   Started The Pirate's Creed 5/8 and finished 5/12.  Started Dragon Dream's A Dragon Tea Party on 5/12 and I am 2/3rds of the way through this medium to large piece.
Sewing Finishes: Try to get three or four projects completed.  No.



JUNE GOALS: Things are settling down a bit so I am increasing my goals list somewhat.
Current BAP:  I am going to ignore this category this month ... it just hasn't been happening for me these past few months, anyway.
UFO/Class Project:  Continue to slog along on The English Band Sampler, a little bit at a time ... which seems to be the only way I can tolerate it now.  I started it two years ago with such enthusiasm but it has simply gone on too, too long.
Town Square SAL: Stitch the Cafe du Monde.
New Start:  Finish Dragon Dream's The Dragon Tea Party and and start Dragon Dreams'  Here Be Dragons.   This pamphlet has two charts and I hope to complete both this month..
Sewing Finishes: Try to get three or four projects completed.

And just because I like to plan ahead, here's my list of the remaining six starts for the year:
July:  Dragon Dreams' Dragon of the Summer Sky.  This is one of Jennifer Aiken-Smith's more fantastical dragons as opposed to the whimsical and somewhat cartoonish ones.
August: Enchanted Lair's Tea Time.  Another fantastical dragon but this one combines my love of fantasy with my love of tea.  Always something to anticipate with pleasure.

September: Workbasket's Quaker Owl.  I own all but two of the Workbasket Quaker  animal series and ultimately plan to use them as quilt blocks.  I have stitched nine already.

October: Workbasket's Quaker Bat
November: Workbasket's Quaker Squirrel
December: Workbasket's Quaker Bear


I have decided to slow down with my BAPs and UFOs now that they have begun to make me feel like Sisyphus rolling that damned rock uphill only to have it roll right back down.   And I have decided to intersperse them even more liberally with new starts.  I was beginning to be bored with my stitching, but no longer.   I simply need a certain amount of novelty to maintain my interest and a generous sprinkling of new small and medium projects among the BAPs accomplishes this.

3 comments:

CalamityJr said...

I love that you know what will make you happy and pleased with your stitching. Maybe I can learn this from your example!

Maggee said...

I agree! If we are feeling bogged down with our current projects, then we should move on to what frees us and makes us happy! That is, however, how we get mired in WIPs! Sigh...

Julie said...

Great news your stitching have renews enthusiasm after a change of project. Looking forward to seeing your wildlife quilt collection grow in the coming months.