Thursday, April 3, 2014

Monday Medley

This was supposed to be posted on Monday but I have been dealing with a crisis at work that has consumed my attention.  Nothing else seemed important while we worked toward a resolution. 

First, the winning limerick.
There were so many creative and clever limericks that it was very difficult to choose from among them.  Only a few entries had to be disqualified because they didn't fit the rhyme and/or rhythm patterns of a true limerick.  In choosing the winner, Misty, my husband cited similarity to me as the reason for his choice.  The only difference is I take over the dining room table instead of the couch.  I have contacted Joanne today and the winner should receive an e-mail gift certificate soon.  Here is the winning limerick

A stitcher who lived in Vancouver
Sat on her couch and took over
Between fabric and floss
She was clearly the boss
And everyone had to move over.

Second, Pineberry Lane's Autumn on Marigold Lane.



I have made a great deal of progress during the past week.  But I still have a few decisions to make.  I don't really like the charted date, 1837, that brackets the urn above the fence.  I am wondering whether to a] replace it with 2014, b] replace it with my own initials or c] leave the space blank.  I am leaning toward leaving the space blank.




And, I have yet to choose a substitute for GAST Autumn Leaves.  I have pulled the following colors for a floss toss, from top to bottom: WDW Sweet Potato, GAST Burnt Orange and Crescent Colors  Persimmon.  I am not quite sure which I like best.  The charted Autumn Leaves has a color way from rust to rusty tan. None of these is an exact or even nearly exact match for the suggested fiber.  But that's not necessarily a problem.  I believe the shade that works best with what is already in place is WDW Sweet Potato.   With its muted rusty orange, it blends best with the mood of the piece.


Since, I wrote the above post, I have continued work on Autumn on Marigold Lane, with this result.  Even though I have only stitched one flower in Sweet Potato, I think you can see how well it is working.  I seem to be flying through this piece.  With just the cauldron, two black cats and 8 flowers to stitch, I expect this will be finished on Friday, making it a ten day stitch.  But no wonder.  I find it to be such a joy to stitch.  This is my second Pineberry Lane chart and I am loving it.  I look forward to starting my third one later this month: Tansy, Yarrow and Rue.  If any designer can tempt me to violate my no new chart purchases rule, it'll be Pineberry Lane.  But I am assiduously avoiding temptation by not visiting her website.


8 comments:

Diana said...

Your Autumn on Marigold Lane is looking very nice. Did you turn it to do the lettering?

riona said...

No, I did not turn it to stitch the lettering since that would havechanged the orientation of my cross stitches. I prefer consistent orientation throughout the whole piece, so I stitched the letters sideways, starting from the bottom left, working my way up through "n" and then back down again from "z" to "o".

Rita E in AZ said...

Congratulations to the great winning entry and lovely stitching on your wips

Stitchinowl said...

Congrats to the winner! It was fun participating in the contest, as well as reading the entries. Your Autumn on Marigold Lane piece is coming along nicely. I would just leave the "year" area blank.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Riona! I'm honoured to win the limerick contest & pleased as punch! Many thanks to you and your husband for choosing my entry! Also thanks for the contest it was so much fun! I'll let you know when I'm notified about the 123 GC. Have a terrific day! Linda (aka Misty M 123)

Julie said...

Congrats to your winner.
Nice stitching progress.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great limerick, it definitely sounds like me! I tidy the sofa at the beginning of the month so I can sit in the corner but the pile gradually grows over the weeks so I move further down as the month progresses!!

Your sampler is looking lovely, the orangey thread you chose is perfect.

Maggee said...

I tried to make a limerick, but never came up with a good one! I have never been creative in poetry, so the fact that I even tried is amazing! Congrats to the winner! I am liking your color choice for the flowers on the Pineberry piece. I have that one, and maybe I will do it someday... so many charts, so little stitching time! Hope the dilemma at work resolved. Still catching up! Hugs!