First, I have finished the Workbasket Quaker Cow ... and just in time to have met a September goal, I might add. I can't say I am as pleased with this Quaker animal as I have been with the others in the series. The face looks rather cartoonish to me. I think it is a result of the wide-eyed stare combined with the bulbous nose. The sheep, from the same leaflet, is ever so much more sedate with small eyes in a plain little unstitched face.
And, in the stitching equivalent of chain-smoking, I have started on Workbasket's Quaker Sheep. I must say I was a little concerned about how the suggested floss [Belle Soie Oatmeal Scone] would look on the country cream linen I have been using for all my Quaker quilt pieces. A preliminary floss toss showed sufficient contrast. But I am still afraid that floss will fade into the fabric once I start stitching with just two strands of this very pretty silk. Better to save the Oatmeal Scones for some snowflake ornaments on a slate blue or pale grey background. Therefore, I have decided to make this guy a black sheep and use Crescent Colors Blackbird. I got a really good start on this piece with two hours of early morning stitching before heading out to work at 9am.