Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Sometimes, Procrastination Bears Fruit

Back when SANQ folded, the publishers sent word that,unless otherwise notified, they would substitute JCS for the remainder of the subscription.    Not having much use for JCS, I fully intended to drop them a line.  Predictably, I never got around to it ... as, no doubt the canny publishers assumed would be the case with most of the subscribers, sparing said publishers the need to issue refunds in an honorable fashion.

The publishers also promised to incorporate some of the content of SANQ into JCS.  Thanks to sheer laziness on my part, I am now in a position to report that the dastardly destroyers of SANQ have kept that promise, at least to a minimal degree.

Here is my totally biased and  rather cranky analysis of the content of JCS since the demise of SANQ.    I have devised nine broad categories for my analysis, each of which has a legitimate following.

SANQ-type charts  Total -3:
     February: 1822 Eliza Morris Sampler
     April: 1927 Harriet Barral Sampler
     June: Adam & Eve Sampler

SANQ-type articles Total -1:
          June: Perforated Paper Popular With Victorians

Contemporary/conventional charts [landscapes/ florals, samplers] Total - 23:
     February: Victorian Winter, Bird Teapot Cozy, Stitch Lover, Daybreak, Corolla Sewing Set, Winterscape, Proverbs 2:10-11, Queen Anne's Lace
     April: Birdsong Sampler, Succulent, Hummingbird, Floral Trivet Set, On Pins and Needles, Spring Chickadees, Monet's Garden
     June: Farm Fresh Basket, Poppy, Summerscape, Traditional Wedding Sampler, Rose Ella's Pincushion and Needlebook, Checkmate Coasters, Paisley and Dots, Bee Happy, Folk Floral

Trendy or seasonal charts Total - 13:
   February: Winter Chalk Art, Love Squared, Snowflakw For Sale, Sparkling Snowflake, Snowflake Hornbook, For Thee,
     April: Cross Easer Egg, Bunny's Basket, Woven Cross, Claddagh Ring, Spring Chalk
     June: Summer Chalk, Strawberry Scissor Fob Ornaments

Hardanger Total-3: 
     February: Hardanger Band Sampler Pt. 1
     April: Hrdanger Band Sampler Part 2
     June: Hardanger Band Sampler Part 3

Redwork or other specialty embroidery charts Total -3:
     February: Alsatian Redwork Heart, Redwork Snowman
     April: Shamina
    
Primitive Total -1:
     February:  Primitive Sheep Heart
 

Juvenile themed charts Total -5:
     February: Snow Angel Duo, Feathered Friends
     April: Spring Quartet, It's Winter
     June: Nursery Rhymes

Articles about designers, new products, etc. Total - 5:
     February: Aury TM Designs, Favorite Trends
     April: Miribilia Designs, Favorite Trends
     June: Favorite Trends

Out of a total of 56 articles and charts, only 4 reference antique needlework and one references traditional ethnic needlework of the sort covered by SANQ.  So, to sum up: from my POV, only 6% of the charts and 16% of the articles are of interest.  I will admit that so far two out of three of the Christmas ornaments [the primitive sheep heart and the scissor fob ornaments] have caught my eye.  But for the most part precious little else of the usual JCS content appeals to me.  

Am I convinced the publishers kept their promise?  There is something, though not much, for the antique needlework student.  So I guess the answer has to be a grudging yes.  Am I satisfied with that?  Of course not [note aforementioned crankiness].  I want my SANQ back and regret that I have to wade through so much unappealing dross for a nugget or two of pure gold.  The JCS philosophy of providing a little something for everyone results ultimately in no one being truly satisfied.  Add that to the sneaking suspicion that once the SANQ files of pending articles and charts are depleted, there won't be even the nugget or two for aficionados of the historical and antique ... well, call me a cynic  but I'd bet a few dollars on that outcome.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Very interesting I found your analysis,

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I agree with you. As a long-time JCS subscriber I honestly would not have known that SANQ was now part of the magazine if I hadn't heard about it from disgruntled subscribers!
I think they have done the bare minimum to comply with their promise.

I would be inclined to cancel and spend the time looking through back issues and re-reading the forgotten articles from there.

Nicola from Stitching by the Cornish Seashore has been publishing some interesting blog posts recently on the history of needlework and antique samplers. It's really just anything she comes across which she thinks people will enjoy reading. It's as good as a magazine!
http://stitchingbyacornishseashore.blogspot.co.uk/