Saturday, February 27, 2016

Sunflower Sampler, Hummingbirds, Etc.


I finished this little sampler Thursday evening, using the recommended GAST and WDW floss and substituting additional WDW floss for the DMC as follows:
DMC 436   >   WDW Bright Leaf
DMC 469   >   WDW Ivy
I did eliminate the bees from the design since I thought a little more negative space was needed.  Samplers, in my ever so humble opinion, need to  breathe.  



I have started and finished another small, Crossed Wing Collection's Summer 1999 Hummingbird.  I had all the recommended DMC and GAST threads but one, GAST Lavender Potpourri for which I substituted GAST Hyacinth.  As I frequently do, I made a few adjustments.  For a softer look I have eliminated the outlining backstitch on the leaves, flowers and bird: stitching 3/4 rather than the charted 1/4 stitches.  I am stitching all the stems in GAST Pine rather than DMC 870, again for a softer more natural look.  I think I shall finish this as an ornament for the summertime display.

And, I finally chose my next BAP start, Primitive Needle's Witch's Hollow.   I had a little over half the recommended WDW floss and three of the four recommended GAST flosses.  I will spend a little time after posting this entry researching substitutions for the remaining threads.  I have such an extensive stash of over dyed cotton flosses from WDW, GAST, Crescent Colors that it seems silly to buy the missing charted threads when I may very well have a similar color in another brand..  I am stitching this on a 36 count linen from Silkweaver called Rock Quarry.

6 comments:

blue star stitcher said...

Sunflower sampler turned out nicely, cute design!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Your mini sampler is lovely as is the little hummingbird. I think you've made some great changes to them both.

Blu said...

Lovely finishes! I think your changes were great.

Anonymous said...

That's a very sweet design! Love the thoughts of spring, too. :)

Maggee said...

Love both of your finishes... definitely help keep me in the mood for warmer weather! Hugs!

Julie said...

Hummingbirds does look beautiful, loving the sunflower sampler and the changes you made to that one.