Sunday, February 10, 2013

Still Stitching the Cats

Progress as of 1/29/13
I spent a good bit of time on Midnight Moogies this past week and managed to finish the right vertical leg of the outer grey border and started on the bottom horizontal leg.  I filled in three leaves and three petals of the large red flower in the lower right hand corner since the last photograph.  I hope to have this piece finished by the end of the month.  It would be my very first finish of 2013 if I manage to do so.  I have a tendency to overestimate what I can accomplish in a given time frame.  But with 18 days remaining in February, there is a reasonable hope that I can finish the piece.  Anyway, that's the plan.


Current Progress
This piece has quite a history:  I started it with loads of enthusiasm immediately after purchasing the Cross Stitch Gold issue that contained the chart.  I discovered, after stitching two of the cats in the main panel, that I had oriented the fabric incorrectly and had to cut off pieces at the top and bottom to stitch onto either side. Stitching through multiple layers of Aida was doable but not a lot of fun.  So the project was soon abandoned.  Almost six years later, the project was resurrected in early December of 2012.  Since then I have been working on it exclusively and have even managed to find a rhythm for stitching through the layers.  I have plans for the finished piece as the upholstered back cushion for a bench I have.  I plan to do the seat cushion in grey and use the same grey fabric to convert this piece into a back cushion.  The bench itself needs to have its joints tightened and its dark red Japanese lacquer finish cleaned [but not stripped].  I think the final product will look spectacular!  I do believe having a purpose in mind for the piece has kept me going strong.

.

4 comments:

Vickie said...

Great progress! What neat plans for it.

CalamityJr said...

That will be beautiful! I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to a photo of the finished finish.

Linda said...

Wow this is really coming along now - here's hoping you can finish it this month.

Anonymous said...

I have often wondered if the designer originally intended this to be needlepoint/tapestry ... the B/W border would have been Scotch or some other specialty stitch ...

As for colour changes, I don't like the blue tail on the smallest cat -- I would have changed that to yellow & then done the mouse in blue.

But at this point ... I'd do the mouse in light green, possibly with pink or blue spots.

Bee in Toronto