Saturday, January 1, 2011

Blogaversary Prize

I have word that Barbara received her prize, so here are the photos. She had asked for a patriotic piece and I thought this filled the bill quite nicely: Glory Bee's Flag and Liberty. I substituted silks for the recommended cotton overdyes, keeping the colors in the suggested muted palette. I remember Barbara once mentioning on her own blog that she thought Buckeye Scarlet was a really distasteful red. Keeping that in mind, I discarded any thought of going with a traditional bright red, white and blue colorway. Instead, my chosen colorway: Cranberry, Blue Lagoon and Oatmeal Scone from Belle Soie. I also dug out a tiny brass Liberty Bell charm that I have had for ages. This is the perfect piece for it. I toyed with different finish ideas but settled on a small pillow finish. I stuffed it with ground walnut shells and lined it with muslin, so it could double as a pin pillow. However, as my grandson treats all my pin pillows as bean bags, it's possible Barbara's youngest son may do the same. Anyone who has visited Barbara's blog, mainely stitching, knows from all the photos that she incorporates many different stitching smalls and antiques and folk art pieces into her decor. I am hoping this little pillow finds a place among all her other treasures. I have photographed the pillow over a swatch of the backing fabric ... a print from one of my favorite fabric "collections" which also includes a larger plaid and a smaller print in the same colorway.

No comments: