Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Summer Doldrums

I have noticed that many of the blogs I read are being updated less frequently and that a stitching message board to which I subscribe has far fewer daily posts.  I think we are all feeling the effects of the heat waves that are blanketing the US.  

Here in the Northeast we are suffering with high 90s in both temperature and humidity, making for wretched days.  I should really look up the inventor of the air conditioner and sing songs of praise to his/her name.  I remember that my grandmother would set a bowl of ice cubes in front of an oscillating fan to cool a room when I was a child way back in the 1950s.  I once mentioned this to the children in my program and they looked at me as if I had just told them I had sailed on the ark with Noah.  I mean, they clearly knew I was ancient, but WOW, that's really ancient!

The good thing is that my zucchini and patty pan squash plants look they are taking steroids.  The plants are huge and a single leaf is considerably larger than a dinner plate.  The blossoms alone are larger than an 8oz water goblet.   I am looking forward to fresh from the garden squash.  The carrots are taking forever to mature to even the size of baby carrots and the peas were a bit of a disappointment.  I believe I planted them too late and they blossomed in warm weather rather than cool.  I'll be planting some more and hoping for a late September-early October crop.  The herb garden is thriving with plenty of chives, parsley and basil.  And even the miniature Christmas tree that I bought two years ago and repotted as an outdoor plant is doing nicely.  Now if I could just get the weeds to stop growing as quickly as the good stuff.  It's way too hot to be bending and pulling weeds that are growing through the decorative gravel that was supposed to solve that whole issue.  And all this humidity is doing a number on my arthritis, so bending is not really on my to-do list at the moment.

7 comments:

Vickie said...

I am with you on the weeding presently. It has been in the 100's with humidity here for half a week.

Unknown said...

Enjoy those veges! Yes, I think a lot of boards/blogs slow down in the summer, just because...

Julie said...

I am guilty of not bogging, not a lot of stitching going own with the heatwave here in the UK.

Maggee said...

My garden is sad... as am I! Something keeps nipping off the buds on my plants so nothing is fruiting! Squash are dying, melons are barely alive, cukes have set only ONE cucumber--but cherry tomatoes are producing some! Sigh! It is very hot and humid here in Hampton Roads too! Summer is a busy time for lots of bloggers with their kids out of school. Camps and summer school and all kinds of mischief! I bet stitching finishes slow down too! I have no excuse as I am a grandma! Hmmm...

books4me said...

How right you are! I'm definitely guilty of not blogging - between the heat and the summer kids' activities it's just not getting done. Thankfully a little stitching is still happening in the background though....

Anonymous said...

Blogging comes in spurts because of my garden AND kids. :) This year's garden is better, though my peas didn't do as much as I hoped they would. My beets were much better and I agree on the carrots. Mine are SLOW to grow as is my okra. The green beans are just starting to produce while there are only blossoms on my tomatoes. ARGH and lots of sympathy! The weeds are real competition!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Try telling the children we don't have AC in England and maybe they'll do us a fundraising benefit as a deprived nation.

The ice cube trick is a good one, we've got a fan, we'll have to try it out. At the moment we just open all the windows and moan about the flies.