Sunday, October 30, 2011

Weekend Progress Report: October 30, 2011

Monday I used a good part of my lunch hour to measure and cut the boards for four floss tags and for four of the Town Square ornaments. And Tuesday morning, before heading into work, I cut and glued the padding on to all the boards. As Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday rolled on by, I worked on Workbasket's Quaker Sampler, completing the motif and two letters for the week. Pictured are the three motifs I have stitched this month along with the letters E through J. I also attended my first knitting circle at the local high school on Wednesday evening. It was a humbling experience. It's been years since I attempted to learn to knit and came up with a fairly respectable garter knit stitch scarf which my youngest son used for nearly a decade. Wednesday night, my tension was too tight, my stitching totally inconsistent and I kept splitting the yarn ... and to add insult to injury, my body betrayed me. too: my fingers kept cramping! At least, I learned a new casting on technique which the instructor called the slingshot method. It's an easy and tidy cast on. I'll have to practice quite a bit over the next two weeks [there's no session next week] so that I can have a neat, even five to ten rows of knit stitch on my "blob". The instructor, Colleen, calls the 24 stitch wide band of practice stitches a "blob" rather than the more exalted "primer sampler" term used by other knitting instructors. This seems much more honest, especially where my blob is concerned. And Colleen is definitely NOT a wool purist, talking easily about acrylic blends that contain as little as 10% wool and yarns from AC Moore and Michael's. I am not certain I am okay with this casual attitude towards materials. I have always believed that the end product is only as good as the materials used in its manufacture. But judging by the sample projects Colleen uses to illustrate her lessons, the lady knows her stuff when it comes to technique. Friday, I switched back to The Primitive Needle's Black'd Skie and completed the outline of the second block and finished the tree trunk that dominates the left side of the block. Finally, I did the assembly and trimming of four more of my Town Square SAL ornaments: The Train Depot, The Saloon, The Clock Tower and The Town Hall. I haven't gotten to the floss tags as yet, perhaps later on in the coming week I'll manage to finish them as well. I am a bit concerned about some Priority Mail packages I dropped in the mail last Wednesday to my September and October giveaway winners. The packages should have arrived on Saturday but I haven't heard from the recipients yet ... the one time I didn't spring for delivery confirmation, wouldn't you know?!?

2 comments:

barbara said...

I love your Town Square finishes - they look marvelous! :)

Rachel S-H said...

Very nice!