Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Catching Up

Last week was a busy one: three 12 hour workdays, Mon-Wed and a half-day on Thurs followed by a 4 and 1/2 day mini-vacation in the Catskills. While I was away, this lovely package arrived from 123stitch. Two Prairie Schooler charts: Primitive Year-Go-Rounds and a chart that has all sorts of patriotic and election day type charts. And loads and loads of Caron Waterlilies and Watercolours skeins just right for Fall and Christmas stitching.



One would think I'd have gotten a lot of stitching done on the vacation but that was not the case. I did a considerable amount of wandering about Greene County visiting as many flea-market-y, low-end antique shops as I could find, enjoying the grand weather and the little bit of leaf color in the mountains, checking out some of the restaurants in the area and vegetating on the porch of the Bavarian Manor Inn. I found some great tea cups & saucers, a nice piece of green Depression glass and a bit of Staffordshire ware [tomorrow, I'll place photos on my other blog] as well as a darning egg and a very old pin cushion shaped like a miniature ottoman in the shops. I have been trying to remember the word that describes the wear specific to silk when the woof threads remain and the warp threads tear away. It's not shredding, or running or fraying. There is a very specific technical term, just out of reach of my aging memory ... how frustrating!


While vegging out on the porch of the Inn, I managed to read the better part of Jason Berry's new book, Render to Rome, about the financial scandals in the Catholic Church. The book confirms all my instincts about mistrusting any church official above the parish level. Having worked in Catholic schools and in parish ministry for over 20 years, I have seen too much and been disappointed too often to place much hope in the hierarchy. When my reading got to be a bit much to absorb with equanimity, I reverted to the more soothing activity of stitching. So much better for the blood pressure! Pictured here is the very little bit of stitching I managed. The lighthouse piece represents my start on a candle mat chart from Prairie Grove Peddler and the latest bit of Midnight Belle Soie stitching was done on the next Quaker motif on Workbasket's Quaker Sampler, a WIP from 2010.

No comments: