Saturday, September 12, 2015

Call Me Crazy

In spite of the heat, I fired up the oven and did some baking.  The wall AC  in the living room isn't powerful enough to cool the entire first floor which includes the kitchen.  So, a few degrees more heat doesn't make much difference.


I had quite a few dark plums on hand, too many to eat out of hand for a two person household.  We belong to a Fruit-of-the Month club and the quantity of the fruit varies from month to month, depending, I suppose, on size and cost.  So I decided to make a plum cake.  I researched and copied out a few recipes but settled on this Martha Stewart version, though the NY Times recipe was a second runner up.  I'll have to try it out as well and have a side by side taste comparison.  God knows I have enough plums.

This version came out a little less moist than I would have liked.  I baked it for the recommended 35 minutes at 375 degrees.  Next time I'll reduce the baking time to 30 minutes. I also dispensed with the powdered sugar/  Otherwise, it makes a nice accompaniment for a cup of tea or coffee, not overly sweet.


No comments: