Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weekend Progress Report, Feb. 13, 2011

Crazy January Challenge Progress:I know several of my blogging friends are outstripping me with three or four or more Crazy January Challenge finishes, while I am still working toward my third finish. I started my list with a largish and very detailed project, the Sue Hillis Cookie Baking Santa, and am now tackling the really large Ice Dragon's Kingdom from Dragon Dreams ... while the others jump-started their lists with ornaments and other smalls. Don't get me wrong, I have four ornaments on my list [one of them, the Day 7 Connecticut Heart ornament, is already finish-finished and up on the ornament tree] and further salted the list with some medium to small pieces ... I just didn't start that way. I am trying to do the projects in chronological order and, as a result, scattered my smallish and less complicated pieces throughout the list ... rather like water holes in a desert ... to help me keep the momentum going.


All that being said, I am making steady progress on this, mainly because I can't seem to put it down ... I am usually a rotation stitcher with 3 to 5 projects on the go at any given time. You might even call me fickle, picking up something different every day or so. While I still have five projects in my current stitching bag, I seem to be focusing on my Crazy January Challenge projects exclusively. Proof positive that the projects I chose for the challenge really were calling my name and quite insistently, at that. I have a few quibbles about this project, though, not the least of which is the fact that this is one of the older DD charts, printed on a dark sage green card stock that makes reading the chart somewhat difficult for my aging eyes. There's been a bit of frogging going on as a result. On the other hand, I have mastered the Marlitt thread. I will never like working with rayon floss but I have found that maintaining greater tension while laying this floss tames it quite nicely. I have three sides of the border done and a wee bit of the "picture" where it overlaps the border stitched as well. I am reasonably confident that I will be able to finish this piece this month. That would make two Crazy January Challenge projects finished in one month ... not bad, considering both were on the largish side. But that will be it for the challenge projects this month. The Day 3 project will just have to wait till March 1st. My 2010 WIPs need attention lest they turn into UFOs.
I'll post a progress photo on Tuesday, at which time I hope to have the entire border done.

1 comment:

Rachel S said...

I can't see the dragon, but it is an addictive piece!